Tuesday, November 26, 2013

140.6 Recovery with lots of Pics

I last left you at the end of my epic day of racing and hinted at what the next day looked like with pictures of lying by a pool and a margarita!  Well, it has been over a week and I’m still squarely on cloud nine which is awesome. (WARNING: At the end of this wayyyyyy end of this post I show the aftermath of what 140.6 miles does to your toes and talk a little bit about some of the not glamorous after effects of long distance racing...if you're squeamish, don't read past where I answer whether or not I'm going to do another 140.6 mile race.)

The rest of our time in Arizona was pretty great.  The weather was sunny and warm; it did not disappoint.  Here are a few more pics from the trip/after party back here in PDX and then maybe I’ll stop talking about it (LOL).


Making signs at our rental house --- I cannot say thank you enough to my spectator crew, they were amazing all weekend!

Mr. Pi and his mom hiked up to the lookout above the bike course and ASU stadium

Proud Dad!  If you look at my face closely, I'm holding back tears.

Really holding back emotions here.

I know I posted this already but it cannot be said enough that Mr. Pi really is the best husband, race sherpa, spectator king!

Another proud Dad moment

Breakfast the next morning.

I may not have slept well the night of the race but Mr. Pi never fails to capture me sleeping soundly.  Some point during our time in Arizona this was taken.


I thoroughly enjoyed my first weekend post-race.  Mr. Pi and I went to yoga which felt so good.  It also felt so good to have him on the mat next to me, it’s something we can do together which is great!  Mr. Pi, as many of you know, is an amazing trail runner.  He recently bought a new book of new trails in the area and I think he has the goal to run all of them.  Since I didn’t have my own crazy workout to get in, the whole family (even Zoey), loaded up in the car and headed out for the trails.  Mr. Pi ran while Zoey and I went for a nice hike in the woods.


Zoey looks less than thrilled

Sitting in the middle of the trail, silly girl

Nap time!

Sunday night my friends threw me a little get together to celebrate my training and my big day!  Thank you Jen and Zach for hosting and thanks to E, L, A and of course, Mr. Pi for celebrating with me!

Collage of my day from my friends

Jen's little Penny the IronBaby, with parents like Jen and Zach it wouldn't surprise me!  And, no, we didn't stage this, she picked up my medal and put it around her own neck =).  She's a smart one and a cute one (duh).

Ceremonial cutting of the wristband from the original badass of our group, IronJen

It's off

In my recovery week there have been...

Long walks in the neighborhood

And even a REUNITING with Luc the Lucero for an easy 30 minute spin


In my immediate weekend future, I foresee many hikes in my future as Mr. Pi runs trails around the state (nope, I have absolutely no desire to run an ultra or become a trail runner).  I also foresee some easy recovery spins, swims and yoga sessions.  I'm saving my first run for Thanksgiving morning! In another week or so I'll start thinking about a routine again but for now I'm enjoying doing what I want when I want to!  

I’ve read a few good quotes recently about the “off season.”  One from Marni Sumbal “triathlon is my lifestyle, not my life.”  Very true.  I really love being a triathlete and pushing my body like I did this year.  I don’t plan on giving that up for anything BUT I’m not a professional triathlete and triathlon isn’t my whole life, it is part of the lifestyle I’ve chosen for myself.   Another good quote about the offseason was, “being good at life.”  Similar to Marni’s quote, “being good at life” means supporting Mr. Pi in his athletic endeavors for the year and supporting my family friends in their various pursuits while still maintaining my active lifestyle.  I think letting go of the double brick Saturdays and 5 hour ride Sundays is going to be a mental (and physical) shift but one that needs to happen and not just for my physical/mental self but for those who supported getting me to the double bricks and 5 hour rides to begin with, they deserve more of my attention in the coming months.

I will answer one question that I’ve been getting a lot of, “would you do another 140.6?”  I am absolutely, 100% in the “yes” category.  As Page said not too long ago, this race, this distance is a “life changer.”  And, the second question I’ve been getting is, “if you want to do another one, when?”  That’s harder to answer but I can definitively say, not in 2014 but as of right now, 2015, I’m looking at you!

Here’s to another week of recovery and working toward, “being good at life.” 


 STOP READING NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE GROSS TOES.

















































And for the 140.6 mile aftermath. I think they have actually looked worse but they certainly don't look pretty.



A couple of notes on long distance racing recovery.  In the days following the race, I felt rundown, understandably, however, so far, knock on wood, I have avoided getting a cold.  I think part of it is that I obsessively wash my hands and have been good about getting enough sleep.  I also think that b/c I went back to my normal eating habits very quickly after a couple of celebratory meals.  My meals include a lot of nutrient dense foods like leafy greens, I love KALE and my giant salad creations.  I also eat a fair amount of berries and am sure to get plenty of protein along with healthy fats.  I am also a fan of hydration, i drink a lot of water and herbal teas during my work day which I think helps repair the body.  I hope I don't sick but if I do I will treat my body well with rest and fluids.

For about a week after the race, while I went back to mostly eating normally, my stomach did feel off.  Anyone that has ever done an endurance event knows this is pretty common.  I wasn't starving like I thought I would be but I was hungry and not everything settled properly--I'll leave it at that.

Otherwise, my muscles and overall self felt pretty great.  My hips were sore on Monday and Tuesday but not unbearable.  My legs in general felt heavy and tired but they felt that way through most of peak training-ha!  I think my lack of intense soreness and overall ability to recover from this race is yet another testament to my training.  Training for 140.6 is no joke, it is the "grand daddy" of triathlons and takes a lot of dedication to properly walk that fine line between getting in the volume and not risky injury from over training.  I think Coach Laura developed the perfect program for me and I wouldn't have changed anything about it.  Even my injury.  That injury taught me a little bit of patience (yes, dad, patience--a trait I am NOT known for) and it certainly taught me just how mentally and physically strong I really am.

I am looking forward to enjoying some further recovery and thinking about planning for 2014!

4 comments:

  1. I can only get wife approval for a 140.6 every other year, and think it's good to take a year off to +1 the other parts of life before going back into the all-consuming Ironman training plan. I may be able to muscle my way into another one in 2014, but that may also just turn into signing up for IMChatt 2015 as well.

    Good recovery! it takes longer than you might think. Also, there is usually a depression or mental recovery that follows when you go from having a demanding schedule to follow to having nothing planned.... it's weird. I got very blue after IMFL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those toes are not too bad at all - I expected far worse! I'm amazed and really inspired by you. Not only by how you fought back from injury and setbacks but by how well your race went and how great your attitude was. I'm going to take a LOT of your blog on board with me to inspire me over the winter and into the hard training season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the collage! What fun that your friends celebrated with you. Looking ahead to 2015 seems like a good goal. Meanwhile you'll be running etc. other races here and there. Maine right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect way of recovery!!! I think you are doing a god job in still working out but nt having the pressure of another big race. In order to successfully accomplish an ironman or any long distance, you need to be ready - physically and mentally. You will be SO ready in 2015!!

    ReplyDelete